[Python-Dev] PYC Magic

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sat, 09 Feb 2002 12:31:38 +0100

Tim Peters wrote:

> [M.-A. Lemburg]
> > FYI, I've bumped the PYC magic in a non-standard way (the old
> > standard broke on 2002-01-01); please review:
>
> Fine by me, except you should also check in a NEWS blurb about it.  The
> current NEWS file says:
>
> """
> - Because Python's magic number scheme broke on January 1st, we decided
>   to stop Python development.  Thanks for all the fish!
> """
>
> That's why PythonLabs hasn't done much of anything on Python since 2.2 was
> released <wink>.

Done.

> >        algorithm relying on the above scheme. Perhaps we should simply
> >        start counting in increments of 10 from now on ?!
>
> Why 10?  I'd rather see it incremented by 1.  If you respond that you want
> to make room for more hacks akin to -U, my response would be that's exactly
> what I want to prevent by blessing 1 <0.4 wink>.

The reason is that I don't want to break the -U scheme. I know
it's a hack, but until someone comes up with a better way to
add flags to store PYC compile options, we'll have to stick with
it (-U changes the semantics of the language in a pretty nasty
way ... nothing works anymore ;-).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH