[Python-Dev] Accessing globals without dict lookup

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Fri, 08 Feb 2002 23:35:22 -0500

[Jason Orendorff]
> The following is totally unimportant, but I feel compelled to share:
>
> I implemented this once, long ago, for Python 1.5-ish, I believe.  I got
> it to the point where it was only 15% slower than ordinary Python, then
> abandoned it.  ;)  In my implementation, "cells" were real first-class
> objects,

That shouldn't matter to speed via any first-order effect, unless you also
used accessor functions instead of direct reference to get at the data
members.

> and "celldict" was a copy-and-hack version of dictionary.

Hmm.

> I forget how the rest worked.
>
> Anyway, this is all very exciting to me.  :)

Don't worry -- it will run much faster if Guido codes it.  One key
difference is that Guido will run each cell in its own thread <wink>.