[Python-Dev] proposal: add basic time type to the standard library

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 08 Feb 2002 20:08:43 +0100

"M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:

> In order to make mxDateTime subtypes of this new type we'd need to
> make sure that the datetime type uses a true struct subset of what
> I have in DateTime objects now:
>
> typedef struct {
>     PyObject_HEAD
>
>     /* Representation used to do calculations */
>     long absdate;               /* number of days since 31.12. in the year 1 BC
>                                    calculated in the Gregorian calendar. */
>     double abstime;             /* seconds since 0:00:00.00 (midnight)
>                                    on the day pointed to by absdate */
>
>  ...lots of broken down values needed to assure roundtrip safety...
>
> }
>
> Depending on the size of PyObject_HEAD, this should meet Jim
> Fultons requirements (the base type would of course not implement
> the "..." part :-).

I forgot to mention that there is another object type in mxDateTime
too: DateTimeDelta. That's the type needed to represent the time
difference between two DateTime instances, or what people usually
call "time" :-)

It has the following type "signature":

typedef struct {
    PyObject_HEAD
    double seconds;             /* number of delta seconds */

...some broken down values needed to assure roundtrip safety...

}

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH