[Python-Dev] Want to co-design and implement a logging module?

Trent Mick trentm@ActiveState.com
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 09:41:49 -0800

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 09:35:25PM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I'd like to see a logging module in the standard Python library.  Is
> anybody interested in helping spec out requirements and work on an
> implementation?  Some ideas from Zope's zLOG module should probably go
> into it (it should eventually be a replacement for that), and some
> from log4j (http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/).
>
> Any takers?

I'll take it. I have been (slowly) working on a log4j translation, trying to
stay as close to log4j's API as possible. I'll take a look at zLOG.

[Aahz said]
> I'm not sure I'm a "taker", but I did a bit of research and found log4p,
> http://log4p.sourceforge.net/

That one has not seen any development for ages and I don't believe it is even
functional.

There *is* a log4py out there.
    http://www.its4you.at/log4py.php
I took a quick look at it a while ago and thought it was pretty limited.
Perhaps not though -- I may have been sufferring from a bout of "Not invented
here."

[MAL said:]
> You might want to have a look at mx.Log which is part of the
> egenix-mx-base distribution. It is undocumented, but reading the
> source should give some insights.
>
> The basic idea is that you have logging objects which are
> usually created as singletons; these can then log various
> information depending on a fine grained verbosity level to a
> log file, stdout or stderr.

Sounds very similar to log4j. I'll take a look at that too.

Note that the log4j manual that is currently up
(http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/manual.html) is for the current release
version. They have an alpha version that cleans up the naming a little bit
mainly, I think, to try to make log4j look a little bit more like the
java.util.logging API.

Actually, log4j's site *used* to have a bunch of other pages up their that
included links to contributed packages and ports of log4k to other languages
(C, C++, Perl, Python, etc).

How about I try to have a PEP together within a week or two, and perhaps a
working base implementation?

Trent

--
Trent Mick