[Python-Dev] distutils & stderr

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 16:51:37 -0500

[Tim]
> If distutils output isn't interesting to PyInline users,
> shouldn't PyInline be changed to run setup.py with its -q/--quiet
> option?

[Skip]
> Probably so, but not all prints are guarded by "if verbose:".

Have you tried it in the case you complained about at the start of this?
These days I routinely build elaborate pieces of Zope using -q, and the only
msgs I ever see then are things like

"""
MultiMapping.c
   Creating library build\temp.win32-2.3\Release\MultiMapping.lib and object
build\temp.win32-2.3\Release\MultiMapping.exp
"""

I believe those are generated by Microsoft's compiler (the case-sensitive
string "Creating" appears nohwere in the distutils source; and yes, these go
to stdout too), and if so there's nothing distutils can do about that.  I
don't see any messages that look like they come from distutils.

just-because-you-don't-understand-the-code-doesn't-mean-it-doesn't-
    do-what-you-want<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim