[Python-Dev] Moving Mac/Lib to Lib/plat-mac before 2.3a1?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 00:03:09 +0100

Oops, there something that's been on my todo list for quite a while but
that I haven't taken any action on (at least I can put part of the
blame on Just, it was his idea and he didn't take any action either:-):
moving Mac/Lib to Lib/plat-mac. The main reason for doing this is that
most (if not all) of those modules are useable in unix-Python on MacOSX
too, and moreover it would make the MacPython-OS9 tree look a little
more like the normal Python tree. site.py would get one extra line with
a special case (if sys.platform==darwin we not only add plat-darwin to
the path but also plat-mac).

Is it a good idea to try and get this in before 2.3a1? Is it a better
idea to try and get this in between 2.3a1 and the next release (2.3a2?
2.3b1?)?

And on the technical implementation: I think I would ask the SF
maintainers to *copy* Mac/Lib to Lib/plat-mac, and then manually delete
Mac/Lib on the trunk and Lib/plat-mac on the 2.2 maintenance branch. Is
that a good idea?

A similar case can be made for other Mac subdirs (Mac/Tools->Tools/Mac,
Mac/scripts->Tools/Mac/scripts), but that is less essential and can
probably wait until later.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -