[Python-Dev] Zipping Zope3

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 15:06:40 +0100

Samuele Pedroni wrote:

> I cannot do this for the first 2.3 alpha, but between it and the
> beta, I will try to implement such a PEP for Jython in order not to
> underestimate some details. One thing is that in Jython import logic
> we do not have the find_module/load_module logic...

That's not neccesarily a showstopper for the importer protocol: during
an actual import Python calls find_module and load_module quickly after
one another, so this can be captured in an import_module function which
simply does:

    def import_module(fullname):
        loader = importer.find_module(fullname)
        if loader:
            return loader.load_module(fullname)
        return None  # raise ImportError, whatever

Paul Moore and I are now working on a PEP and we're making pretty good
progress. If you (or anyone for that matter) want to be involved
(passively or actively) before it gets posted, let me know.

Just