[Python-Dev] [ 654866 ] pickle and cPickle not equivalent

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien@orbtech.com
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:23:05 -0600

On Tuesday 17 December 2002 10:28 am, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Your original message sounded much like a support question. I was
> trying to say (perhaps in impolite words, for which I apologize) that
> posting support requests is not appropriate for this mailing list.

Apology accepted. No hard feelings. Sorry I rubbed you the wrong way as
well. That wasn't my intention.

> And it is a good thing that you have submitted a bug report to
> sourceforge.

Thank you for simplifying my example even more, and describing why
cPickle is doing what it's doing. Of course, we're still left with the
question of whether or not this should be considered a bug. I think it
is, but I couldn't tell from your description on SF whether you feel
the same way or not. Certainly the difference between pickle and
cPickle is disturbing, is it not?

> It was the (perceived) attitude "my bug report is more important than
> the other 320 open bug reports" that rubbed me the wrong way. I do
> appreciate that you took the time to report the bug.

I honestly didn't have that attitude. Sorry if my message sounded that
way. I just wanted to try to resolve this while it was fresh, that's
all. And I do consider it pretty serious that pickle and cPickle are
not working identically (in substance, not cosmetic differences). But I
don't mean to imply that this bug is more or less important than any
other. It just happens to be important to me. ;-)

Thank you for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

--
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech      http://www.orbtech.com/web/pobrien