[Python-Dev] Adding decimal (aka FixedPoint) numbers to Python

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:27:52 -0500

> sf/653938I is a patch to integrate the fixedpoint module, that was
> created by Tim Peters, into Python as a first class object. That is,
> the patch adds this new number type so that it has direct syntax
> support like float, int, long, str., etc. within the interpreter.

(a) I don't want any (more) change to the syntax for Python 2.3.

(b) Like the sets module, proposals for new datatypes should first be
    prototyped as standard library modules before being promoted to
    built-in status (with their own literals).