[Python-Dev] Another approach for the import mechanism

Gustavo Niemeyer niemeyer@conectiva.com
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 20:52:38 -0200

> it's confusing (and imcompatible wrt to how Java/Jython do things now).

Sorry. I wouldn't like to do something in a different way than Jython
does, or to obligate you to rework that. OTOH, I belive that this is a
better scheme, and my obligation is to discuss that with you. If it's of
common sense that this isn't good, it won't be accepted, and that's all.

> __init__.py exists so that a package has a first-class counterpart,
> namely a first class-module.

That's a very similar idea. But if you don't like __init__.zip, just
rename it to __module__.zip, or whatever.

> Zipfiles should be able to embrace more than just one package and
> should be transparent.

Can you please explain how the propose changes that?

--
Gustavo Niemeyer

[ 2AAC 7928 0FBF 0299 5EB5  60E2 2253 B29A 6664 3A0C ]