[Python-Dev] Doc/whatsnew/* v. Misc/NEWS

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
03 Dec 2002 17:30:28 +0000

Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com> writes:

> Do we really need both Doc/whatsnew/* and Misc/NEWS?  It seems that people
> frequently make nearly the same edits to both files, or add to Misc/NEWS
> only and someone later (usually Andrew) goes back and twiddles the necessary
> bits in Doc/whatsnew.

I'd have said yes: Misc/NEWS is for "developers" and whatsnew is for
"users", although this is blatantly a bogus categorization.

NEWS items are brief to the point of curtness, whatsnew has more
explanation and some examples.  Also I'd hope/expect NEWS to be more
comprehensive -- whatsnew shouldn't need to have every little thing in
it.

Cheers,
M.

--
  at any rate, I'm satisfied that not only do they know which end of
  the pointy thing to hold, but where to poke it for maximum effect.