[Python-Dev] More pydoc questions

Ka-Ping Yee ping@zesty.ca
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:40:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, David Abrahams wrote:
> Now I get (well, I'm not sure how this will show up in your mailer, but for
> me it's full of control characters):
>
> NNAAMMEE
>     docstring_ext
>
> FFIILLEE
[...]
> So my question is, is there a way to dump the text help for a module
> without prompting and without any extra control characters?

Hi -- sorry it took a couple of days to reply (i'm out of town).
The pydoc module contains a function for precisely this purpose --
just run the string through pydoc.plain().

    % pydoc pydoc.plain
    Python Library Documentation: function plain in pydoc

    plain(text)
        Remove boldface formatting from text.

-- ?!ng