[Python-Dev] Backwards compatiblity

Tim Peters tim@zope.com
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 11:44:09 -0400

[Raymond Hettinger]
> For 2.2.2, if we add False,True=0,1 to __builtins__, then code
> written for 2.3 will more likely run without modification.  For
> instance, that is all the sets module need to run under 2.2.

Good idea!  Before spending *too* much time on it, though <wink>, note that
Guido already did it for 2.2.1:

Python 2.2.1 (#34, Apr  9 2002, 19:34:33) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>>> True
1
>>> False
0

> Further, since we don't want to encourage further propagation of custom
> dictionary based sets, we should consider adding the sets module also.

Strongly doubt that one will happen.

> In both cases, it can't hurt to add the extra functions and it can
certainly
> help some of the time.

The sets module is still pre-alpha, and adding pre-alpha anything to a
"stability release" is highly dubious.  At best, it would create
artificialcompatibility problems if 2.3 alpha and beta tests shows a need to
change the sets API.  If people want new features, that's what new releases
are for.