[Python-Dev] Python build trouble with the new gcc/binutils

Andrew Koenig ark@research.att.com
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:36:04 -0400 (EDT)

Guido> I haven't heard this before.  I guess gcc 3.2 is brand new?  I'm not
Guido> generally following gcc releases except from hearsay.

gcc 3.2 was released yesterday.

Guido> I suppose you *did* do a "make clean" before trying with a different
Guido> compiler?  Maybe even re-run configure.

Whenever I build Python, I start by unpacking the source-code
distribution into an empty directory, so I am quite confident that
there are no dregs left over from earlier builds.

Guido> If that doesn't help, try turning off optimization (edit the
Guido> generated Makefile to delete the "-O3" option, them make
Guido> clean).  If that helps, it must be a gcc optimizer problem.

I'll give that a try.

Guido> If that doesn't help, it's still most likely to be a gcc or
Guido> binutils problem.

There was definitely a problem with binutils 2.13 -- when handed
the libtcl8.3.so distributed by ActiveState, it dumps core.
However, that problem does not occur if I build libtcl8.3.so from
the tcl source distribution.  Nor does it occur with binutils 2.12.

Guido> A SourceForge bug report might be in order regardless.

I'll file one once I have identified the failure conditions more accurately.