[Python-Dev] _sre as part of python.dll

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 11:37:11 -0400

    >> I remember doing some similar testing probably around the
    >> Python 2.0 timeframe and found a huge speed up by avoiding the
    >> import of site.py for largely the same reasons (avoiding tons
    >> of stat calls).  It's not always practical to avoid loading
    >> site.py, but if you can, you can get a big startup win.

    GvR> It's also easy: "python -S" avoids loading site.py.

Yes.  The one gotcha is that site-packages is put on sys.path via
site.py so using -S means you lose that directory.  You can, of
course, reinstall it explicitly by something like:

import sys
sitedir = os.path.join(sys.prefix, 'lib', 'python'+sys.version[:3],
                       'site-packages')
sys.path.append(sitedir)

-Barry