[Python-Dev] _sre as part of python.dll

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 09 Aug 2002 11:35:19 +0200

Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:
>

>>>On the other hand, on my Linux installation, importing a module costs
>>>35 system calls if the module is not found, and no PYTHONPATH is set;
>>>every directory in PYTHONPATH adds four additional system calls.
>>
>>Why not address this problem instead ?
>

> I'm trying to: every module incorporated in config.c won't be searched
> in PYTHONPATH.
>
>>Note that mxCGIPython can help a lot here: it freeze most of the
>>Python std lib into the executable making imports go really fast
>>(and that's needed if you're doing a lot of CGI scripting).
>

> Indeed, freezing also helps - but is probably only suitable for
> special-purpose applications. I think people would be surprised if
> they are told that editing the source of a library module won't have
> any effect.

They shouldn't edit those anyway :-) What ever happened to the
ZIP archive import that James C. Ahlstrom was working (I think it
was him) ?

If startup time for the std lib is considered a problem, then
people could be directed to a ZIP archive incorporating the
complete pure Python std lib.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH