[Python-Dev] _sre as part of python.dll

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 22:56:54 +0200

On donderdag, augustus 8, 2002, at 07:16 , Martin v. L=F6wis wrote:

> Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> writes:
>
>> Let me turn this around.  What advantage do you see to linking it
>> statically?
>
> The trigger was that it would have simplified the build for me: When
> converting VC++6 projects to VC.NET, VC.NET forgets to convert the
> /export: linker options, which means that you had to add them all
> manually. Mark has fixed this problem differently, by removing the
> need for /export:.
>
> Integrating _sre (and _socket, select, winreg, mmap, perhaps others)
> into python.dll still simplifies the build process: you don't have to
> right-click that many subprojects to build them.
>
> In addition, it should decrease startup time: Python won't need to
> locate that many files anymore.
>
> It also decreases the total size of the binary distribution slightly.

Note that I went exactly the other way for MacPython over the=20
last year. It used to be so that all "common" modules were=20
included in PythonCore.slb, and I used separate project build=20
files only for Mac-only modules and one or two special cases=20
(Tk, expat).

I bit the bullet half a year ago and made PythonCore.slb lean=20
and mean, but still used my own private project build file=20
generator for all extension projects.

I bit the bullet again (actually, I bit one of the two remaining=20
half-bullets, I've kept the Mac-specific modules as they are)=20
last month, and MacPython now uses the main setup.py for a large=20
collection of the cross-platform extension modules. This turned=20
out to be only one or two evenings of work.

This has immediately resulted in a decrease in my workload:=20
whereas previously whenever someone decided to add the kaboozle=20
module I had to add project files for this, etc etc etc, all=20
that is now often taken care of by distutils and setup.py.
--
- Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com>       =20
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -