[Python-Dev] _sre as part of python.dll

Tim Peters tim@zope.com
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 15:56:55 -0400

[Guido]
> I never have to do that; the dependencies in the project file make
> sure that the extensions are all built when you build the 'python'
> project.

[MvL]
> Are you sure? If the python target is up-to-date (i.e. nothing has to
> be done for python_d.exe), and I delete all generated _sre files
> (i.e. sre_d.pyd, and the object files), and then ask VC++ 6 to build
> the python target, nothing is done.

Right, every project other than pythoncore and w9xpopen depends on the
pythoncore project, but that's all.  Guido doesn't normally change any code
in any other subprojects, so he doesn't notice this viscerally.  If you want
to be completely safe at all times, do Build -> Batch Build.  One step and
easy.  It won't recompile more than needed, although if the Python DLL
changes, it will pee away a little time relinking things against the new
core .lib file.