[Python-Dev] string.find() again (was Re: timsort for jython)

Samuele Pedroni pedroni@inf.ethz.ch
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 14:12:27 +0200

[Steve Holden]
>> (it's a purely rhetorical question)
>>
>Which I also asked. But Guido pointed out htat [1, 2] may well be a member
>of a list such as [0, [1, 2], [3, 4], 5].

which just reinfornces my point below,
anyway I knew that before, even
without Guido. You were not supposed
to answer a rethorical question anyway <wink>.
I have not read the entire
unbearably long thread.

>> in general I don't think it is a good idea
>> to have "in" be a membership vs subset/subseq
>> operator depending on non ambiguity, convenience
>> or simply implementer taste,
>> because truly there are data types (ex. sets)
>> that would need both and disambiguated.
>>
>Well, it looks like you lose!

I'm not taking this personally,
the problem one operator, two potential
semantics remains.

>Consistency apparently loses out to pragmatism in this case.

What do you want "in" to do for you today? <wink><wink>.

That's my last input on the matter.

regards.

PS: these days I read python-dev through the archives,
it seems that this time I have added to redudance
department myself, oh well...