[Python-Dev] timsort for jython

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 06:52:18 -0400

  CT> Tim Peters wrote:
  >> [Christian Tismer]
  >>
  >>> I'd like to pet you for your new version,
  >>

  >> LOL -- that comes off a bit, umm, endearing to American English
  >> ears.  But I understand the sentiment, and thank you for it.

  CT> I meant "to tap s.o. on the shoulder". Does this have the
  CT> meaning of encouraging and honoring?

The verb pet is most often used to mean stroking or caressing an
animal -- a pet dog or cat.

There is also a slang usage of pet that is straight out of the
Hungarian phrasebook.  Not "My hovercraft is full of eels," but "Drop
your panties, Sir William, I cannot wait 'til lunchtime."

Your meaning was clear, but it was impossible to suppress a wry grin.

Jeremy