[Python-Dev] seeing off SET_LINENO

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 02 Aug 2002 11:43:06 -0400

> pystone is a mystery.  It's a fair bit slower but also much more
> variable with my patch.  Moving trace code out of line helps quite a
> bit but it's still ~1% slower.

Hm.  For me (with your latest patch which moves the trace code out of
line) pystone is actually *less* variable with your patch than
without, and it's also faster with -O than before.

So I wouldn't lose any sleep over pystone (leave that to Tim :-).

Maybe you should increase LOOPS in pystone.py; I usually set it to 40K
or even 100K.

> I think I'd like to wait for serious review.  I'd be surprised if the
> patch went out of date at all quickly.

Fair enough.

> Also, it seems Lib/compiler currently works by generating SET_LINENO
> and then builds co_lnotab by scanning for them afterwards.  That's not
> going to work in the new world, so I should probably think about how
> to change it...

Or wait for Jeremy.  (I suppose you still *support* the SET_LINENO
opcode?)

BTW, you should change the .pyc magic number in your patch.