[Python-Dev] iterzip()

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 21:05:42 -0400

    RH> IMHO, This is a better way to loop over multiple sequences and
    RH> has a chance at becoming the tool of choice.  I scanned all of
    RH> my Python code and found that iterzip() was a better choice in
    RH> every case except a matrix transpose coded as zip(*mat).

I'd much rather see a patch that just changed zip() to be an iterator
instead of adding an iterzip().  I doubt that much in-field code would
break because of it (but write the PEP to find out. ;).

    RH> Ditto.  Any chance of moving functions like map(), reduce(),
    RH> and filter() to a functional module; pow() and divmod() to the
    RH> math module; or input() to oblivion?

    GvR> I wish.  Since they were there first, it's hard to get rid of
    GvR> them.  (If you're truly masochist, write a PEP and post it to
    GvR> c.l.py to find out how hard. :-)

The PEP would have to specify a migration plan, i.e. the builtins are
identical to the functional module versions, and would a deprecation
schedule, etc.

-Barry