[Python-Dev] Re: Integrating timeoutsocket.py

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
28 Apr 2002 11:00:53 +0200

Michael Gilfix <mgilfix@eecs.tufts.edu> writes:

>   Gonna carbon the dev list to get people's opinions on this
> one. Something definitely needs to change in the way ServerSocket.py
> is implemented.
>
>   Found the cause in ServerSocket.py. You need to add the line:
>
>     t.setDaemon (1)
>
>   at line 469 in ServerSocket.py, right after the thread is
> created. Whether this is an error is debatable though.

Since this is a semantics change, you need to make this operation
optional - either by passing parameters, or by checking state of some
object.

If you think the setDaemon call should be the default, you can then
deprecate the case where the application does not explicitly specify
the daemon behaviour (with a deprecation warning (*)), but continue to
operate in this case as today - in a future version of Python (say,
2.5), the default can then be changed.

Want to work on a patch?

Regards,
Martin

(*) Triggering the deprecation warning just often enough is tricky. In
this case, I would trigger it once per implementation class.