[Python-Dev] Making None a keyword

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:51:13 -0400

I meant two say things, and tried to be clever at the expense of being
understood :-(.

I think the cleanest way to handle None as a keyword is via a
LOAD_NONE opcode.  LOAD_NONE would replace two different mechanisms
that the compiler currently uses -- LOAD_GLOBAL 'None' and LOAD_CONST
0 (None).

While I think LOAD_NONE would result in a tidy state of affairs, and I
think it would be marginally faster, I don't think the performance
effect would be measurable on any interesting benchmark.

I don't care how much faster it is, though.

Jeremy