[Python-Dev] unicodeobject.c,2.139,2.140 checkin

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:31:07 +0200

Jack Jansen wrote:

> (of course it could be argued that unicode has demonstrated a
> design flaw in Python, namely that a single data-type was used
> to store both binary data of unknown interpretation and
> character arrays, and that there's now little more to be done
> about that).

This is probably the most significant problem with the usage
of strings -- and there's nothing much we can do about it
since it's hard-wired in the programmers mind... most other
languages have the same problem.

In the long run, I think that the Unicode type should be
used for all text data and strings for binary data of unknown
encoding.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH