[Python-Dev] (no subject)

Simon Brunning SBrunning@trisystems.co.uk
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 17:09:14 +0100

> From:	Guido van Rossum [SMTP:guido@python.org]
> > What's still missing is the version for unicode. Note that my patch
> > http://www.python.org/sf/424606 works a little different: Here the
> > argument is a complete word that should be stripped, not a collection
> > of characters, i.e.
> > your version: "oofoo".strip("foo") => ""
> > my version: "oofoo".strip("foo") => "oo"
>
> Aargh!  I prefer my version -- it's more similar to the default usage
> (which boils down to something like s.strip(" \t\n\r\f")) and more
> practical (e.g. stripping trailing punctuation).

</lurk>
Me too. But what about:

"oofoo".strip("foo") => ""
"oofoo".strip(["foo", "bar"]) => "oo"

I.e., strip could accept *any* sequence (rather than just a string) as its
optional parameter, and strip all occurrences of any item in that sequence.

More flexible, but I can't think of a good use case, to be honest.
<lurk>

Cheers,
Simon Brunning
TriSystems Ltd.