[Python-Dev] Adding Optik to 2.3 standard library

akuchlin@mems-exchange.org akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 08:21:26 -0400

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 08:09:34AM -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> If it's wanted, I have a cpio reader class somewhere that could be
>> thrown in. Note that (from memory) it only handles some of the many,
>> many different cpio formats...
>
>cpio?  What's that?  An RPM reader, now that would be useful.

cpio is a program like tar, that reads tar files in addition to its
own format.  Unfortunately there are a bunch of different cpio
formats; see the GNU manpage for cpio for a list.

To answer your third sentence, note that the RPM tools include
rpm2cpio.  Also, Red Hat's rpm module likely includes functions for
reading RPM file.

--amk                                                             (www.amk.ca)
Cleverness: A predisposition to irritate excessively.
    -- Peter Greenaway, _Rosa: The Death of a Composer_