[Python-Dev] trace.py and the obscurity of Tools/scripts/ (was: Unittest list)

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 14:31:41 -0400

> So in terms of `trace.py', it is a widely useful tool and already
> has a programmatic interface.  Being added to the hallowed Python
> Standard Library would be a major step up in publicity and hence
> usage.  It would require better docs regarding the programmatic
> usage.
>
> Anything else that would be required for trace to make this transition?

I see a copyright notice in the comments; I'd appreciate a transfer to
the PSF so we can remove the copyrights.  (The CWI copyright can be
removed.)

It could use a style upgrade.  Change log comments typically don't go
into comments (we have CVS for that).  There are many lines longer
than 80 characters (the preferred limit is 72 or 78).  It uses strange
@param markup in docstrings.  There are lots of signed inline comments
that sounds more like CVS checkin narrative than help on understanding
the source.

Other than that, I don't see why it couldn't be given more prominence.