[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 20:45:01 -0400

> I think that if the primary purpose of measuring stability is
> communicating it to a large user population, including managers and
> decision makers.  We need to have only one or two easy to understand
> metrics.

I don't think we need metrics.  I imagine bugs fixed per month is as
uninteresting as lines of code to the average PHB (pointy-haired
boss), if it's not their own product.  They just want us to say "this
one's good".  I'd be happy to give a guideline that says "all 2.x.0
releases are solid but may contain untested code and surprises; all
2.x.1 and beyond are stabilized."