[Python-Dev] Re: Cygwin

Kevin Jacobs jacobs@penguin.theopalgroup.com
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 13:03:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Jason Tishler wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 12:01:27PM -0400, Kevin Jacobs wrote:
> > The other problem is that you can't use it for commercial applications.
>
> Why?  The Cygwin license just requires distributing the source (to
> cygwin1.dll and the linked applications).  By "commercial" do you really
> mean proprietary?  If so, then if you don't need shared extensions then
> you are OK.  If you do, then you are not.

Sorry, I did mean non-open-source and commercial.  The closed-source license
for Cygwin is several tens of thousands of dollars (I know -- one project I
used to work on bought a license and then never used it since I got the
MingW version working for them).

-Kevin

--
Kevin Jacobs
The OPAL Group - Enterprise Systems Architect