[Python-Dev] Re: Cygwin

Kevin Jacobs jacobs@penguin.theopalgroup.com
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:01:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> If you want a free compiler on Windows, I'd recommend Cygwin (a Unixy
> development environment that includes GCC).  There are some problems
> with Cygwin, but it's getting better all the time.

The major problem with Cygwin is that it is **slow**.  The other problem is
that you can't use it for commercial applications.  I've gotten about 10
e-mails in reply to my offer to explore getting the Python CVS up and
running with MingW.  Since Python is already ported to native Win32 APIs, it
seems like a viable approach that will not suffer from either of Cygwin's
problems (though I have yet to try building a version with threads, or
Python more recent than version 1.5.2).  I'll keep the list posted on how it
goes.

-Kevin

--
Kevin Jacobs
The OPAL Group - Enterprise Systems Architect