[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 09:36:03 -0500

    >> There is perception and there is reality.  I believe the reality is
    >> that Python is pretty stable.  There seems to be a perception outside
    >> of the python-dev community that it is not.  In large measure this
    >> thread has been more about what to do about perceived instability
    >> than actual instability.

    Simon> There is a perception *by a vocal minority* of those outside of
    Simon> python-dev that Python isn't stable.

Agreed.  We don't know how big that vocal minority is, but:

    * Juding by Guido's response to Andy Robinson's note yesterday, I'd say
      that at least part of the vocal minority is reasonably well respected.

    * RedHat's insistence that they stick with 1.5.2 for the time being for
      what appear to be valid business reasons also supports the Garths in
      the crowd who don't understand those reasons and take them out of
      context.

That suggests that minority or not, their collective voice carries some
weight.

Skip