[Python-Dev] Re: NEWS consolidation

François Pinard pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
09 Apr 2002 22:05:48 -0400

[Guido van Rossum]

> XML is unreadable and untypable.

Well, Lennart Staflin's superb PSGML package (for Emacs) makes SGML
rather easy to type, and I guess it would make XML tractable as well.
Without Emacs and PSGML, I would guess that typing XML is not easy.
I would surely make myself something if I had to.

Much granted that XML is rebuking for the human reader, the information
drawns under the noise.  When "they" decided to design XML out of SGML,
they compromised a bit too far towards machines, and away from humans.
Nevertheless, and surprisingly to me, XML has been extremely successful.

My reluctance more or less vanished (but not my opinion!) after I used
Glade, together with James Henstridge's libglade, of course! :-)