[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 18:01:02 -0500

    Chris> The double-branch option is easier, and I know that when the
    Chris> FreeBSD group releases 4.5-RELEASE, it's been tested and solid,
    Chris> and will be supported by bug fixes for some period of time.  They
    Chris> have only just recently stopped issue security patches for the
    Chris> 2.x tree.

Is *-RELEASE a third branch, or is it what falls out the end of the *-STABLE
pipe?

    Chris> It's just an idea, but I'm really opposed to magic numbers in
    Chris> determining whether something is a stable or experimental
    Chris> release.

It doesn't matter to me either.  Most of the discussion up to this point has
been using Linux as an example of dual-track development.  Since it uses
even/odd numbering and most people on python-dev are at least familiar with
it, it's a logical first choice to argue around.

Maybe you do both.  How about if all stable snapshots are named
"stable-X.Y.Z" where Y just happens to always be even and all development
snapshots are named "devel-X.Y.Z" where Y just happens to always be odd?

Skip