[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 18:47:47 -0400

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002, Paul Hughett wrote:

> Given that we distinguish stable and experimental versions (which I
> regard as an obvious +1), we have the problem of labelling them and I
> think the Linux system is well suited (but I'm still willing to listen
> to alternatives): It's well-established and known to a large part of
> our target audience.  It's pretty easy to determine from the version
> number alone whether it's stable (minor version even) or experimental
> odd); I wouldn't want to try to remember that--say--versions 2.2.1
> through 2.2.19 are experimental while 2.2.20 and up are stable.

Just brainstorming:

How about 2.3.a, 2.3.b, 2.3.c, ... as the experimental releases; 2.3.0
would then be the first stable release.

Note that I agree that overall the problem lies more in getting people
to try the experimental releases.  See my "Developer Resources" post for
more.
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"There are times when effort is important and necessary, but this should
not be taken as any kind of moral imperative."  --jdecker