[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 17:43:16 -0500

    SM> No support for any development branch releases
    SM> (e.g. 2.N.x, where N is odd) is implied.

    BAW> IMHO it will still confuse a lot of people.  I don't think it's the
    BAW> same as the Linux kernel because I suspect that people upgrade
    BAW> their kernels a /lot/ less often then they'll upgrade their Python
    BAW> version.

People (and organizations) who are risk averse will just have to settle for
even-numbered micro releases.  If, as I suspect, most people get (or will
eventually get) Python from running a Windows installer or from their Linux
distribution, they will probably be blissfully unaware that odd-numbered
minor releases even exist.  Windows installers should not be created for
development releases and Linux distributions will have no business
installing a Python development release in /usr.

Skip