[Python-Dev] PEP Politics (was Re: Re: Stability and change)

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 18:01:20 -0400

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002, Guido van Rossum wrote:

>>     Guido> Maybe I should PEP it first? :-)
>>
>> You've got a smiley there,
>
> Because any PEP I write appears to mostly raise controversy once
> brought up on c.l.py.

>From what I've seen, much of the controversy revolves around what might
be described as infelicitous phrasing.  Discussion on python-dev tends
to focus on the actual issues, but that changes once a PEP goes "into
the wild".  Perhaps right before you wish to release a PEP to c.l.py,
you should ask for an editing run specifically to focus on the political
side.

This will not avoid the mud from certain quarters, of course, but they
probably should be ignored.
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"There are times when effort is important and necessary, but this should
not be taken as any kind of moral imperative."  --jdecker