[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 17:23:11 -0400

It seems like adopting a Linux-style development branch makes lots of
extra work and doesn't buy Python much extra testing or stability.
What you're calling experimental releases, we currently call cvs
checkout :-).  I'm happy to keep truly experimental stuff in CVS
between releases and aim for stability with each 2.x / minor release.

The more releases we do, the more time wasted on packaging of the
releases and building docs and installers.  We make bug reporting more
complicated, because we need to check what CVS version corresponds to
2.3.17.  And, as Barry just noted, we lead users to make complicated
statements like: "This works with Python versions 2.4.3-2.4.19 and
2.6.0 on up but not 2.5.0-2.5.18."

Jeremy