[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 01:54:49 -0400

    AM> It would help to some degree if the "stable" releases could be
    AM> shown to have SOME kind of enhancement.  Not as much as if
    AM> language changes which did not break existing correct code
    AM> could also be there, but some.  Modules such as email are a
    AM> big part of the draw of 2.2, for example (not quite as big as
    AM> language-level enhancements, but big).

And of course, I spend a non-trivial amount of effort to maintain a
separate email package that is compatible with Python 2.1 and Python
2.2.  But I consciously gave up Python 2.0 (or earlier) support
because it became obvious to me that I wanted /some/ of the newer
features.

But that's really difficult, considering it means I have to keep two
cvs repositories in sync (and yes, I've got a bunch of changes that
need merging back into Python 2.3).

-Barry