[Python-Dev] Pymalloc and backward compatibility

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 10:15:19 -0500

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002, Moore, Paul wrote:

> OK, so maybe it's time to give up on Python 1.4 compatibility. But
> ideally, I'd prefer to go for an approach which leaves the code used
> under Python 2.2 and earlier completely unchanged, and only adds the
> minimum necessary for newer versions.
>
> Longer term, it might be worth considering upgrading the code to use
> some of the newer features in the Python API, but in all honesty
> that's not a great priority for me (and unlikely to be even remotely
> on the cards until I can realistically desupport everything before
> 2.0...)

Why can't you realistically desupport pre-2.0?  Believe me, I understand
all the arguments in favor of keeping support for old versions, but
someone who's getting a *new* version of vim has IMO demonstrably
indicated that zie wishes to get access to new software.  Even if zie
needs to support old versions of Python, why shouldn't zie use a current
version as the macro language in vim?

What I'd suggest doing for your case is targetting Python 2.2 without
pyMalloc, and just making sure you follow the 2.3 rules.
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"There are times when effort is important and necessary, but this should
not be taken as any kind of moral imperative."  --jdecker