[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 279

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien@orbtech.com
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 07:45:41 -0600

[Greg Ewing]

> Raymond Hettinger <python@rcn.com>:
>
> > enumerate -- I like this one best because it does what it says.
>
> But it doesn't. According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary,
> enumerate means either "to ascertain the number of : COUNT"
> or "to specify one after another : LIST".

Maybe a more generous dictionary would help. <0.5 wink>

http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=enumerate

Included in the Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary are phrases such as:

"to tell by numbers; to count over, or tell off one after another; to
mention one by one; to name over; to make a special and separate account of"

Sounds close enough to me. Extremely close, actually. And I don't think
we'll find anything better.

---
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech