[Python-Dev] Suggested memory API rules for 2.3

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Wed, 03 Apr 2002 17:09:07 -0500

>     Use as Function Designators
>
>     Programs shall not use use a name from line B, C, D, F, G or H
>     in a C context requiring a function designator.  Names from lines
>     A and E may be used in C contexts requiring a function designator.
>     A function designator is a C expression having function type;
>     C contexts requiring a function designator include as an actual
>     argument to a function taking a function argument.

[Skip Montanaro]
> This just means that PyMem_{Malloc, Realloc, Free} and PyObject_{Malloc,
> Realloc, Free} will be implemented as functions or simple macros that
> expand to a single function call, and that the others can be all sorts
> of CPP gobbledygook, right?

That was my intent, but it's hard to predict how courts will rule <wink>.

> The only thing that threw me a little was the alphabet soup

Fred needs to work with me to make the real docs comprehensible; all this
stuff is on top of what's already said in the docs, and I believe
rearrangement is called for (like combining the scattered sections about the
memory APIs, for a start).