[Python-Dev] Re: channews.rdf

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 12:31:07 +0200

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 07:32:00PM -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Can you tell me which sites frequently request /channews.rdf?

The requester list is quite long: 2829 distinct ip-addresses since the start
of August, with an average of almost 100 requests each. Here is a top 5:

25180 24.24.52.209
11087 204.192.44.242
5439 212.125.76.33
5341 64.89.70.32
5152 194.236.124.44

... and then it slowly dwindles down to 1. My guess is that whatever this
channel thing is (I honestly don't know), you don't need to be listed on a
site somewhere for people to still access the channel, probably every time
they start their browser. I think the number of people is actually quite a
bit less than that 2800, due to dynamic ipaddresses; just over 850 distinct
ip-addresses requested it ten times or more in those two months.

Referrer data confirms that we aren't actually listed in many places
anymore. Here's the entire list:

222150 -
11676 http://radiodiscuss.userland.com/myUserLandOnTheDesktop
 551 http://frontier.userland.com/xmlAggregator
   3 http://www.xmltree.com/dir/viewResource.html?urlID=25170
   1 http://www.python.org/~thomas/wwwstats.new/usage_200109.html#TOPURLS
   1 http://www.python.org/~thomas/wwwstats.new/usage_200108.html
   1 http://www.ourfavoritesongs.com/
   1 http://www.google.com/search?q=python%20and%20RSS&sourceid=opera&num=0
   1 http://www.google.com/search?client=googlet&q=python%20rss
   1 http://www.director-online.com/newshound.cfm
   1 http://www.bilug.linux.it/htmlheadline/newsinf.htm
   1 http://lists.eazel.com/pipermail/nautilus-list/2001-May/002845.html
   1 http://lists.eazel.com/pipermail/nautilus-list/2001-May/002843.html
   1 http://home.talkcity.com/PicassoPl/dinoch/news.htm

The topmost one is 'no referrer' and are probably all bookmarks and
'channels' and stuff.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>