[Python-Dev] Canned Responses

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 09:54:08 -0400

> I think the Canned Responses are a nice feature. However, being in a
> non-admin position, I cannot find out what the exact text of the
> response is. I've used "Missing Upload" myself, so I know what text
> to expect and when to use it.  I can also guess what "RH 7 Compile
> (LONG_BIT)" is likely going to say (having typed in a similar
> response quite a few times).
>
> What about the others ("Float precision","Feature -> PEP42")? Can
> somebody please post the text associated with them?

Geez, SF's permissions are really totally incomprehensible.  (The same
problem I have with Zope permissions: there are so many of them that
you never know which permission is needed for a particular operation.)

I've given you some more permissions (all except project admin :-),
see if you can see these now.  Also, here are the standard messages we
currently have:

In the Bugs tracker:

Feature->PEP42
	I've added this feature request to PEP 42.

Float precision
	This is not a bug.

	Binary floating point cannot represent decimal fractions exactly,
	so some rounding always occurs (even in Python 1.5.2).

	What changed is that Python 2.0 shows more precision than before
	in certain circumstances (repr() and the interactive prompt).

	You can use str() or print to get the old, rounded output:

	>>> print 0.1+0.1
	0.2

	Follow the link for a detailed example:

	http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/RepresentationError

Missing upload
	There's no uploaded file!  You have to check the
	checkbox labeled "Check to Upload & Attach File"
	when you upload a file.

	Please try again.

	(This is a SourceForge annoyance that we can do
	nothing about. :-( )

RH 7 compile (LONG_BIT)
	The GCC version that comes with Red Hat 7.0 is not fit for
	distribution.

	In particular, it defines LONG_BIT as 64 on 32-bit machines under
	certain circumstances, and letting this go unchecked would cause
	it to generate bad code for various Python arithmetic operations.

	The solution is to download a valid version of GCC.

	See

	http://www.python.org/cgi-
	bin/moinmoin/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#line53

	for more information.

In the Patches tracker: