[Python-Dev] Proposal: get rid of compilerlike.py

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Sat, 01 Sep 2001 15:15:27 -0400

About two weeks ago, Eric Raymond wrote:

> OK.  Don't wait on this, but I'm going to try to find time to check in
> my stuff that provides compilerlike framework support for scripts.
>
> Code is tested, docs are written.  The issue is packaging; I was going
> to make it a separate ccframe module, but I'm thinking Greg Ewing's
> suggestion that it should live in fileinput is on balance a good one.
> But that means I have to merge in the docs.
>
> I'll probably get to this tonight.

Eric didn't merge it with fileinput, but instead checked in a separate
module "compilerlike".  I have several comments on the code, but my
main complaint is about process.  This is a random bit of code that
got checked in without any kind of discussion about whether it was
worth checking into the standard library, and whether this particular
implementation was right.  There was some discussion afterwards, to
which Eric did not respond.  Given that Eric apparently doesn't care
enough about his code to defend it, I propose to delete it from CVS.

I'll do this as part of the 2.2a3 release which (given the encouraging
feedback so far) I'll try to do around Sept. 5.