[Python-Dev] Future of SSL

Gerhard Häring gerhard@bigfoot.de
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 13:36:40 +0100

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 09:36:41AM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> [Integrating more crypto code into Python]
>
> Please don't proceed in this direction. Crypto code has a long
> tradition of making world-wide distribution hard and painful, either
> to export, to import or to usage restrictions.

True. But there's not much you can do about stupid governments, except
not voting for them next time.

> There's a good reason why e.g. mxCrypto was developed outside the US,
> in fact I wrote that package because I couldn't legally export
> Andrew's code from the US. OpenSSL itself was developed in large parts
> in Australia for much the same reason.

The problem is that there needs to be some crypto support so that HTTPS,
SMTP over TLS, etc. works if the crypto is available. So, at least the
crypto hooks (SSL API) must be there, right?

What would be your suggestions? Would you prefer to go in the direction
of my original proposal - only providing a SSL API, but not the
implementation?

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id 86AB43C0