[Python-Dev] Goals for patch selection for 2.1.2

Aahz Maruch aahz@rahul.net
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 08:41:10 -0700 (PDT)

Martin von Loewis wrote:

> Remember you are Patch Czar, not the slave of patches. You could
> restrict yourself to incorporate only patches that people propose.
>
> If you want systematic scanning, we could try to come up with a script
> that automatically reviews all commit messages of patches since 2.1.1
> whether these mention an SF bug. We could then further automate
> scanning to produce the number of changed lines, to exclude 'large'
> changes.

As it says in PEP 6, one thing I was hoping for was that people
submitting patches would indicate whether a patch ought to be considered
for inclusion in patch releases for prior formal releases.  One way to
do that would be for people to check in patches to the prior version's
trunk, and then the Patch Czar could decide which patches belong in a
release branch.  Of course, that's assuming I understand how CVS works,
which is probably false.  ;-)

Alternatively, we could agree on some text tag format for use in SF
comments.
--
                      --- Aahz (@pobox.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6       <*>       http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

We must not let the evil of a few trample the freedoms of the many.