[Python-Dev] conditional expressions?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 13:27:04 -0400

> I guess I've lost track of all the proposals here; what's
> the current main proposal?
>
>     (if cond then expr else expr)
>
> with mandatory parentheses?

Almost -- the parentheses can be left out in some cases, e.g.

    x = if 1 then 2 else 3

I agree with Greg Wilson that elif should be added too.

> not too bad -- but I doubt it will save me much time in
> real life...  (probably a net loss: even if I could use this
> from time to time, it's not like I have to use much brain-
> power to spell it out in today's python...)

That's my conclusion too.  I went looking through the stdandard
library for places that could use it and basically didn't find any in
the 15 minutes before I got bored.

So the patch is still there but this won't make it into 2.2.