[Python-Dev] Where is PyMarshal_ReadShortFromFile() ?

James C. Ahlstrom jim@interet.com
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 09:04:08 -0400

Tim Peters wrote:

> Not so:  you're making a bad situation worse.  If an extern name doesn't
> begin with "_", it's part of Python's public C API, and *should* be
> documented and tested.  I don't think anyone will let that hold up your
> patch, although everyone probably should.

Yes, I think PyMarshal_ReadLongFromFile() and PyMarshal_ReadShortFromFile()
are indeed part of Python's public C API, and that is why they were in
marshal.c with public declarations.

But they can't be tested by Lib/test_marshal.py because they are not
available in the marshal module.  I don't know of an existing C API
tester, and the names are highly descriptive in lieu of documentation.
And marshal.c has been relegated to supporting module.c anyway.
In short, I think we are getting a bit carried away.

JimA