[Python-Dev] a bit confused about the new type/class stuff

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com (Skip Montanaro)
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 21:07:40 -0500

Guido,

Thanks for the various tips.  I will check 'em out.  Regarding the Don
Beaudry hook, PyGtk was using ExtensionClass until recently.  James
Henstridge has just released the first cut at using your new type/class
stuff in the past few days.  So if you didn't use it, neither does PyGtk.

    Guido> I have zero experience with Gtk, but I heard somewhere that it
    Guido> uses the Don Beaudry hook.  This is enabled in recent 2.2, but it
    Guido> might act slightly different than expected.  This is the first
    Guido> thing I'd investigate.

    Guido> Good luck!  (If you can mail me step-by-step instructions for
    Guido> reproducing your situation on Linux, including URLs of specific
    Guido> Gtk source tarballs etc., I might play with this a bit...)

This is too new to have tarballs yet (lots of hairballs perhaps...).
Everything is coming out of various CVS repositories.  If you want to waste
a half a day getting all the Gtk build tools and libraries correct, I can
set you up, but I suspect you may have better things to do with your time.

An alternative is for me to give you ssh access to my laptop.  You could be
fiddling around with this stuff in a few minutes.  Even if it wasn't useful
to track my problem down you might like kicking the tires on a pretty large
client for your new type/class code.

Skip